Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Wrong Shoes. Right Heart. Day One.

Today's weight: Too much
Today's clothing size: Too large
Today's exercise/activity level: Almost non-existant
Today's new goal: Participate in a 5K run before I cash my first Social Security check. :)
Today's impediment to this goal: None

My dear husband, Mr. World's Most Self-Disciplined Man, wants me to KEEP growing old with him, and that means doing MY part to make that happen -- knowing that it is ultimately up to God. I am one week past by 61st birthday. We are consciously eating more healthily. Getting me to move more is the next big hurdle.

I have finally found a method/program with a catchy title that APPEARS to be achievable for me. It's called "Couch to 5K." Goodness knows, I've spent plenty of time on couches, or recliners, or rocking chairs, or padded seats of all kinds. I justify it by saying I've been "exercising my mind." And, yes, I DO read, study, plan, and communicate a lot. And, yes, I admit that every day that includes plenty of physical activity produces sharper and clearer thinking. But, as my beloved PE teacher, Mrs. Rosalie Stephenson, can testify, I am lacking in ALL skills related to sports. I kept a good grade point average in high school and college by diligently showing up to PE class on time, by wearing a recently-laundered gym suit and a smile, and by trying very, very hard. Yes. I was the kid who was always picked near the very end when "the captains" chose their teams. The only reason I wasn't chosen dead last was because I had some nice friends. :)

I love sedentary activities -- reading, sewing, writing, researching, talking, playing Rook and Dominoes, having lunch with friends, having dinner with friends, and yes, having breakfast/brunch with friends or family -- and I don't "sweat pretty."

I also love cooking, EATING, reading cookbooks and discovering new recipes. Would you believe it? The 2nd book I downloaded on my new Nook Color (a birthday gift from Steve) was a COOKBOOK! He'd have a fit if he knew. I already have cabinets and shelves crammed full of them.

This is not the best time to start a new project. It's a Tuesday, for heaven's sakes, and not a Monday. It's the 24th of the month, not the 1st. My "recreational shoes" are horrible -- they looked like such a good deal at the outlet store where I found them -- but I can't stop right now and get anything better. It's now or never.

Happily, I DO have a treadmill (thanks to the generosity of a skinny friend), so I don't have to begin this plan with an audience. And, "Couch to 5K" has a handy-dandy treadmill version that I have printed out, ready to go. The treadmill happens to be in our bonus room which we only heat and cool when we have company. Steve, however, graciously gave me permission to set the thermostat at whatever temperature I needed in order to follow-through with this plan. Bless him.

Today's the day. I've procrastinated long enough. I'm out of excuses. Feel free to hold me accountable and ask how I'm doing. Expect weekly reports. Up and at 'em.


No comments:

Post a Comment