Mrs. Leffel lives several states away and rarely has the opportunity to watch her son do the work that God has ordained for him. Several times a year she gets to visit with him, with his wife, and with his two beautiful little boys, but that's different from watching him be completely in his element, doing with excellence that for which he has both the training and the calling. She was drinking in the sight of her boy and no doubt feeling at least a tiny part of what God the Father must have felt looking down from His throne in heaven when His Son Jesus was being baptized by John the Baptist.
I have had a "look" similar to Mrs. Leffel's often as my children have grown into such amazing adults. I watch Laura enjoying her children and discovering their unique personalities. I love listening to her laugh on a video of Nathan riding a camel and seeing her delight in the privilege of dressing up her 2-year-old Megan in tons of lace and frills. I'm in awe as I watch her teach advanced mathematics classes using the latest in on-line technology, and I'm humbled at the sight and sound of her on her knees voicing a fervent prayer on behalf of a dear friend when we visited recently in her Sunday School class. She's fun to watch in the kitchen whipping up yummy recipes, and she's an exemplary wife.
I marvel at the patience and strength God has given Julie with her four young daughters, as she strives with diligence and determination to understand how each child is wired and to guide them "in the ways they should go." I was inspired seeing her take everything necessary to a muddy strawberry patch recently for Maggie's birthday party because she knew how much Maggie loved strawberries and that by making these efforts she could create what Maggie would later call "the best day ever!" All of this while being 8 months pregnant with Baby Samuel. Julie constantly affirms her husband and is a good friend to many. She sets a great example for others to follow.
I dearly love being "the preacher's Momma" when we visit Wynne Baptist Church in Wynne, Arkansas. It is a thrill to my soul to watch Matt preach the word of God with skill and passion, and I readily confess that in spite of the fact that I've heard sermons for 61 years now, he always teaches his Momma something new. I enjoy knowing that he takes his wife out on dates regularly and that he, too, studies his sons to know best how to help them become the best they can be. I am so happy with the close relationship Matt has with Steve, and I adore his funny personality and his ability to mimic, tease, listen, connect and bring laughter, while also having a soft, caring, missionary heart for his family, his friends, and for lost people all over the world.
As I watched Mrs. Leffel this morning, both in the choir room and in the congregation later, I thought of all these things about my own children. But, then I began to wonder if my Heavenly Father has had any reasons to look at me with pride and love recently and to say, "Well done."
God wants to watch me "in my element." He wants to see me still carrying out the ministries for which He equipped me. He created me to praise and worship Him. Am I doing that in a way that pleases Him? He still has me on earth for a reason. Am I fulfilling His purpose and His desires for my life?
Thank you, Mrs. Leffel, for reminding me of all these things today, just with your countenance. I can assure you that your son has a wonderful ministry in our church and that all of those years of music lessons and college tuition are being used for God's glory.
No comments:
Post a Comment