What a great firstborn child she was! Other than being 3 weeks early and a little jaundiced, she was perfect. Even through her first months, she did everything "according to the book" and was a total delight. The Lord was there so many nights when her nursery became a temple, and our time in the rocking chair was full of praise and worship. From the Broadman hymnal and the 1957 Baptist humnal, I sang to Laura every night before bedtime. I knew from memory at least the first verse and the chorus of hundreds of them. I probably would have known many more verses if I had been singing with the congregation rather than playing the piano so much of the time, but she didn't seem to mind my strung-together medleys or low alto pitch. I sang "Jesus Loves Me," "Praise Him, All You Little Children," "Amazing Grace," "Down at the Cross," "Showers of Blessing," "Blessed Assurance," "I Surrender All," "At the Cross," "God Bless America," the "Doxology," "Just As I Am," "Bringing in the Sheaves," "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing," To God Be the Glory" and probably at least the Top 100 Baptist favorites of the 50's, 60's, and 70's each week during those moments when I was quieting her down for the night. Since I had heard those songs from the beginning of my conscious memory, it was natural to extend the same upbringing to Laura. Amazingly, by the time she was about a year old, she was trying to sing along with me. She tried so hard, in fact, that she couldn't go to sleep as long as I was singing. So, I began to lay her down after 5 or 6 songs, and she would continue on her own until she had sung herself to sleep. What fun it was for Steve and me to stand outside her door and listen.
My parents wanted to host her 2nd birthday, so we have some wonderful pictures of Laura peering over my mother's dining room table to peek at her Raggedy Ann birthday cake. But, the sweetest memory of that night was of her standing in front of that roomful of adult guests singing, "At the cross, at the cross where I first saw the light, and the burden of my heart rolled away." It was pretty remarkable to hear a 2-year-old sing about "the burden of her heart," but to her, it had just become a part of her fiber. A few months later she was singing while visiting her Pearson grandparents, and Granddaddy Pearson had the good idea to get out his portable tape recorder. As a result, we have this precious tape of Laura, with a slightly runny nose, singing, "God Bwess Amerwica (sniff), Land that I love (sniff), Stand beside her (sniff) and guide her (sniff), through the night with a light from above (sniff). Was that wight, Granddaddy?"
Steve had the privilege of church-training our children, because, as I've mentioned before, I was usually at the piano bench. One day Laura, it seemed, had wiggled a tad too much during the morning service, and Steve felt it was necessary to give her a spanking when we got home. Mind you, my mild-mannered Steve was much too soft-hearted to inflict any real pain. For the children, it was always just the THOUGHT of a spanking from their Dad that was the real punishment. Anyway, Laura was such a compliant child we joked that "she never moved a muscle in church after that Sunday." Bless the hearts of firstborn children. Their parents have to learn so much at their expense. It's a wonder Laura grew up with a positive feeling about church, but it's NO wonder at all that as an adult she has chosen a more demonstrative style of worship in the churches she has attended. She evidently wants to move around a little more! :)
Laura started piano lessons at a very young age and quickly became very proficient. That talent allowed her many unique travel opportunities -- through the Hartselle High Performers, Celebrant Singers, and the Auburn Singers.
She loves adventure, especially if it involves visiting new places and seeing new things. Since 1998, her partner-in-adventure (and in life) has been her husband David. One of my cherished memories of David was from their rehearsal dinner, the night before the wedding. Many of the attendants made speeches about how smart and talented Laura was (is), but when his turn came, he just talked about how very beautiful she was. How special that was to all of us!
Laura and David have two wonderful children now, who both exhibit a love for music that is being instilled in them in their home. Just as my mother's voice was "the voice in my head," Laura says that often she finds herself saying and doing things she saw me do as she was growing up. In SPITE of that, she has become a lovely, competent, kind, insightful, and deeply-spiritual woman, and I love her with all my heart.
"Children are a heritage from the Lord." Psalm 127:3a
Beautiful!!!! I love it. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Mom. I love you!
ReplyDelete