Thursday, November 4, 2010

FACEBOOK -- To Friend or Not to Friend

(My friend Talitha Culver and I reuniting after 40 years -- thanks to Facebook).
Through the wonders of Facebook, I had a very happy reunion last week with a dear friend I hadn't seen in over 40 years. We first met during junior high school days when we were in youth activities and choir groups at First Baptist, Huntsville. Then, we both ended up at Samford University. Even though our majors had us going in different directions, we connected loosely during those years, as well. Then our paths diverged. . . for a very long time. A few months ago, she spotted my name on a comment I made to a mutual friend's post, we "friended each other," and an opportunity to see each other again in person came to be.
We had a lively couple of hours getting caught up (while eating hushpuppies) and found that we probably have more in common now than ever before. Each with 3 children (2 girls and a boy), both of us have grandchildren we adore, we are staunch Auburn fans (she has even LIVED in Auburn for almost 20 years), we have wonderful husbands, and we care deeply about our Christian faith. Now, we're both looking forward to the next installment of this "friendship during our older-but-wiser years."
BUT, and this is a very BIG BUT, the very next night I was reading Facebook posts and typed a quick comment that was intended to be just light-hearted teasing to a young lady who is my daughter's age. That friend understood and took it the way it was meant, but HER friends, who "didn't know me from Adam's housecat" (as my mother used to say), took great offense to my comment and started typing some very scathing remarks using a lot of foul language. I was shocked!!! How could a social networking tool that had worked to bring about such a beautiful result the previous day turn into something so ugly just 24 hours later???
The lessons for me were painfully obvious. First of all, I must remember that words have tremendous power, both for good and for evil. Why, why, why do I have to KEEP learning that lesson? My typing fingers can edify or tear down, just as quickly as my spoken words are able to do.
Secondly, the "connection possibilities" with Facebook are endless. What I think is being read by just a few people might in fact be read by hundreds or even thousands. As a follower of Christ and, hopefully, an "imitator" of Him, I must put my thoughts and words through His filter. Will my comments and posts encourage, bring smiles, cause introspection, give insight or will they discourage, deflate, anger, hurt, or worst of all, damage the cause of Christ and the advancement of His Kingdom here on earth?
The term "friend" is used as a verb and a noun on Facebook, and more often than not, it refers to acquaintances rather than to true friends. Because, honestly speaking, it is highly unlikely that any person on earth has 300+ true friends. True, deep, abiding friendships are precious . . . and rare.
The Bible has a lot to say about true friendship. Here are some verses from Proverbs that I particularly like (this time from the English Contemporary Version):
"Just as iron sharpens iron, friends sharpen the minds of each other." Proverbs 27:17
"A truly good friend will openly correct you. You can trust a friend who corrects you, but kisses from an enemy are nothing but lies." Proverbs 27:5-6
"The sweet smell of incense can make you feel good, but true friendship is better still." Proverbs 27:9
"Making up with a friend you have offended is harder than breaking through a city wall. Make your words good -- you will be glad you did. Words can bring death or life! Talk too much, and you will eat everything you say." Proverbs 18:19-21.
"A man who has friends must himself be friendly." Proverbs 18:24a
So, I will continue to enjoy the vast benefits of Facebook, with renewed caution, and try to imagine Jesus sitting beside me at this computer molding my thoughts and urging me to type words of healing, humor, happiness, and, of course, witness on His behalf.
Okay. Who wants to be my friend? :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Connie, thank you so much for your wise, powerful words! How I needed to be reminded of God's Words about our words! This article needs to be published in some way (Mature Living, Guideposts, Readers' Digest, etc.) to remind other Christians of this powerful tool that can be used for good and/or evil. If you do get it published in a secular magazine you may want to add a paragraph about how a person can "friend" Jesus!

    ReplyDelete