Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir and Its Ministry to Me




(Part of my collection of Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir CDs)


It has been 15 or 20 years since I first read "Fresh Wind Fresh Fire" by Jim Cymbala and was so impressed about his ministry at the Brooklyn Tabernacle, led by the power of the Holy Spirit.


Shortly afterward, I was introduced to the music of the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir because of some selections of the Minister of Music where I was playing the organ at the time. That led to purchasing my first CD produced by the group, and from then on, I was hooked. Something in the words, the style, the fervency, and the depth of the music touched my soul in a profound way. I realized that I was always drawn to worship when I heard the music, and the tears invariably fell no matter what I was doing because my heart connected so authentically and deeply.


Jim's wife Carol inspires me with her spiritual insight and musical creativity. She has won 5 Dove awards and 6 Grammys, yet she has no formal music training. Even though she can't read music, she has written hundreds of songs, and 51 of them have been recorded on the various albums of the choir. I relate to her in many ways. We are about the same age, and both of us have 3 grown children and several grandchildren. We have also faced dire health diagnoses for ourselves and for loved ones and wayward choices by our children. We have experienced God's faithfulness through years of challenges, and we can both testify that He has never failed us and never taken His hand of love and provision off of us.


But, on the other hand, she and I are vastly different in terms of our musical gifts. I started lessons at age 7 and went on to major in piano performance in college. I can interpret what someone ELSE has written with a fair degree of accuracy and skill, but seeing past the notes brings me to a standstill. Carol Cymbala, on the other hand, took piano lessons for 3 weeks and then stopped because she "didn't want to learn the notes or be confined by the music books." She wanted to play HER way -- by ear. She became extremely proficient in both piano and organ using her special gift for hearing and interpreting what was in her heart.


She began the choir at the Brooklyn Tabernacle with only 9 people, and now it has grown to between 250-300 members. The choir consists of people of all races and backgrounds, from those who were formerly homeless and/or addicted to drugs to professionals in every field you can name. She directs people with music degrees without having a single one of her own. Her conducting style wasn't taught in any of the classes I ever attended, but those 250+ people know exactly what to do and when to do it.


To celebrate my 50th birthday, Steve and I took a wonderful trip to New York City. We had a dizzying "Clipboard of Fun" for the 6 days we were there, but a highlight was taking the subway from Central Park to Brooklyn and attending the 3:00 p.m. service at the Tabernacle on the Sunday we were in the city. The spirit of God was unmistakeably present as soon as we walked in the door. I found myself wiping tears from my cheeks while the choir was just warming up -- for heaven's sakes! Neither of us will ever forget the effect that whole service had on us that afternoon.


Just 2 years later, when we were preparing to go on the mission field, we were taught how important it would be to have worship tools available "in our heart language" while we were living in another culture. So, we bought as many Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir CDs as were available at that time. I remember so often doing housework and walking on the treadmill with those CDs playing, and how the choir always led me to worship and fed me spiritually.


Now, just recently, this group is still ministering to me. I am singing in the choir of the church we have recently joined, the church my mother grew up in. In a few weeks, the amazingly gifted church pianist will be out of town, and I've been asked to substitute for him. The date will be March 6th, what would have been my mother's 81st birthday, so I like thinking that she'd be pleased. But, even more, when I looked on the choir schedule to find out what they would be singing that day, you guessed it -- a song by The Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir.


I thank God for the ministry of this wonderful choir and of its director, Carol Cymbala.


If you are a Facebook friend of mine, you have likely noticed the verse that is posted on my profile. Psalm 3:3 "But Thou, O Lord, are a shield for me, My glory and the lifter of my head." When you have a few minutes, go to YouTube to see a stirring performance of this text by the choir -- "Thou, O Lord." www.youtube.com/watch?v=y284YvkYrZo


No comments:

Post a Comment