I confess that I've done way too much fretting lately over the choice of a new home church now that we've moved into a new community. I have been a member of some incredible church families during the first 60 years of my life, and I've learned so much from each one. Now, at this stage, when I figure that this next church will be "my buryin' church," I want to really find one that fits. But, is that really the issue? Isn't our assignment as Christians to worship Him -- no matter the setting? Here is what I wrote from the perspective of our missionary time in Ecuador.
"As the deer pants for the water brooks, so my soul pants for Thee, O God." Psalm 42:1
Not quite three years ago (late 2001), I sat at the bench of a magnificent pipe organ in a stained-glass sanctuary accompanying the predominantly-white, middle-to-upper-middle-class congregation in such stirring hymns as "All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name" and "O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing." Our service was broadcast on television, and our pastor had a doctoral degree from seminary.
This morning (2004) I sat in a very humble wood and concrete block home in Cojitambo, Ecuador, singing choruses in Spanish to a slightly out-of-tune guitar, lacking in rhythm, but making up for it in enthusiasm. There were eight people in the room, both mestizo and indigenous, assembled to pray, praise and study the Bible. Most appeared oblivious to the dozens of flies swarming in the room with us. Two had been believers exactly one month, and two others were yet to receive Christ as their Savior. The greeter was a round, sweaty lady who placed a very wet kiss on my cheek. Music blaring from the loudspeakers on top of a nearby Catholic church competed for our attention. As we closed the door to drown out the sound, we were also blocking the view of disapproving, suspicious passersby.
Was I worshipping and praising God on both of these occasions? I believe so. That was certainly my intention. Were both "gatherings" centered on Christ in order to glorify God? I hope so. That is what they were designed to do.
In the first case, I understood every word that was said within my hearing. Today I struggled to keep up and likely missed many important points. Even so, I studied the body language of the participants, watching for signs of response, and I maintained a continuous internal conversation with God. One type of worship experience was majestic, but it didn't seem to require much effort from me. The other was a challenge and took more of my energy to stay focused on God.
I'm sure my children wonder why their Momma can't get through a single service in the States now without tears rolling down her cheeks. It is such an awesome privilege to sing and to participate in my heart language. I want to always remember what a challenge it was to pray, sing and understand in Spanish and what a pleasure it is to finally grasp most of what is being spoken. When I return to the States in the future, I want to continue this feeling of longing to worship God and desiring to know Him more intimately.
"One thing I have asked from the Lord, that I shall seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to meditate in His temple." Psalm 27:4
I think it would be good for me to ponder this lesson God taught me when He had my full attention.
No comments:
Post a Comment